Monday, October 24, 2011

A Book to Doodle In

Sometimes, I feel the need to mix it up with my journals. I love the clean look of a textured leather cover, but, a pretty floral design is just as welcome. The journal I carry everywhere was the inspiration for this one. The designs on both were inspired by silk embroidery designs from a book I have on 18th century embroidery. Drawing on leather is both a joy and a challenge. There is no room for error and the design has to be properly centered and fill the whole space. I ink the design on the leather before I stitch in the pages to make it easy on myself, and I use a Faber-Castell permanent pen. The design will 'soften' with time and use, giving it more of a tattoo feel.
This journal is filled with mixed-media paper and stitched with waxed Irish linen thread. The signatures are covered with beautiful decorative papers. A leather belt with a brass buckle keeps it closed and the finished measurements are 5.5"x3.75"x1.625" (14cm x 9.5cm x 4cm). No longer available in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment