Friday, July 15, 2011

Driven to Distraction

I've been horribly distracted for the last three weeks...well, more so than I usually am. My mother is staying with us, trying to get back on her feet in this terrible economy. Having been mostly without her in my life for the last ten years, the adjustment is a large one.

The worst of it is that I have had little time and less motivation to do the things I find most relaxing and rewarding...crafting, cooking... However, I've been pretty insistent about getting out on the trail with my husband and our rollerblades. I even went out, by myself, for a walk, and ended up jogging...and liking it! If you know me, you know that this is just plain odd behavior. I've lost three pounds so far.

I did manage to get this sketchbook finished, though.

This big sketchbook is about 7.25 inches tall, 5.75 inches wide, and 1.5 inches thick. It's filled with mixed media paper that'll stand up to nearly any medium you'd like to throw at it. I used waxed Irish linen thread to do the stitching as it holds up well to humidity changes and the inevitable wear on exposed stitches. Using suede in the same shade as the thread, I appliqued a crescent moon and star on the cover. I guess it's a little early for Halloween-ish stuff, but it's my favorite holiday and the purple-black combo begged to be well-explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment