Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Doctor Who?

Sadly, I was asking that question just a few months ago. My mom was saying how much she loved the show and I had no idea what she was talking about. Considering what a huge sci-fi geek I am, I can't believe I didn't hear of it sooner. I caught an episode on the BBC America (one with David Tennant), and I was instantly hooked. I love the Doctor!

I'm really intrigued by the character of River Song (like most of the rest of you fans) and, being a bookbinder, also by that journal of hers. I didn't want to recreate the journal exactly... I wanted to make it in my own style. I love making leather journals with a soft, wrap-style cover...it really lets the paper shine, and you are always aware of the block of pages, rather than just the cover. I've made a few pieces of free-motion, machine-quilted fabric (for various applications), and I figured it should work just as well for a book cover as a strip of leather does. It does. Though, fabric covers offer their own unique challenges. I'll be expanding on this concept in the very near future. But, what's simpler than stitching in straight lines? You'd be surprised. Maybe it's fitting that my lines are a bit wibbly-wobbly.

I found the most perfect fabric for the lining...it's like a view from inside the TARDIS! I had a few other ideas, but couldn't find the right fabrics to pull them off.

This is probably the biggest journal I have ever made at 8 inches tall, 6 wide and 2 deep. I stuffed it full of paper. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment