Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Saving Grays


My favorite long-sleeved tee was ruined, recently, in a cooking incident. Boo! It got splashed by a bit of grease and the stain really stood out. Of course, it didn't help that it was positioned over my chest.

I'm getting better about wearing an apron, now. I decided to disguise the spot with a stencil. (Liked it so much I did the back, too.) This doodle had been hiding in my sketchbook, unloved for weeks, until it found a purpose in saving my gray tee. There are six flowers because that's my lucky number.




This is such an easy fix for clothes that have been made unwearable by little spots or stains. Once you have your design, transfer it onto freezer paper (paper backed with a bit of plastic) and use a craft blade to cut it out. My shirt was a cotton-modal blend, so I wasn't sure how much heat it could take...I set my iron to low and pressed the freezer paper stencil to my shirt...go over the little edges until they're well sealed to the fabric. Slide some cardboard into the garment to prevent the paint from seeping through to the other side. Mix your paint (if you're using acrylic with fabric medium) or not (if you're using paint just for fabrics), then dab it over your stencil with a sponge...dab, don't wipe...wiping can cause your paint to squish under the edges of your stencil. When the paint is dry, peel off the stencil. (If you used acrylic paint with fabric medium, use your iron to heat-set the paint.) Wash garment as usual. Wear. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment