Monday, February 1, 2010

An Elf By Any Other Word

Months ago, I decided that I was going to create a truly original doll. I finally got around to drafting the patterns - no small feat for some one who can't draw - and, after three days of sewing, gluing and crocheting, the elf was created and clothed.

She's an elf of some sort (she isn't telling me anything, yet)...most likely associated with the winter weather that we've been experiencing. Her frosty, violet eyes sparkle with mischief, and her white skin and chestnut hair reflect perfectly the snow-covered trees of our woods. She's dressed in a relaxed, Victorian-inspired skirt and blouse. Her underbust corset is quilted wool herringbone and lace. The necklace and rings are brass, crystal and coral.

Her actual form was inspired by an MTV cartoon that, when I was 12 or 13, I would stay up late to watch...Aeon Flux. The characters were not of human proportions - their bodies more like caricatures with narrow waists, wide hips, and long arms and legs. Her chest, unlike the cartoon, is mostly flat, though. She stands 16.5" tall.

Update:
I know her name! *jumps up and down with joy* She is Lilwen (it means 'white lily' in Welsh). Her cousins (still in progress) will be in my Etsy store beginning late March to early April.

No comments:

Post a Comment